Sunday, September 30, 2007

Puzzle Time

In an earlier post, I mentioned how I have changed the way I approach vocabulary in the classroom. What I did not mention is that I have also started to use a particular site I found a while back to create puzzles for my students.

I use Discovery School's puzzlemaker every week. On Mondays I give each of my literature courses crossword puzzles to help the students review old vocabulary words, learn new words, and recall events and figures.

The kids tell me they prefer these puzzles over getting a list of words. I think these puzzles help them practice and help them feel successful as they progress. The puzzles are small at the beginning and grow as the body of work grows.

Other puzzles can be created, though I tend to stick with the crossword puzzles (called criss-cross puzzles on the site). Give it a try, and maybe your kids might like them.

No comments: