Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Mariner Cy Young Candidate?


While driving along today searching for radio stations, I happened upon a conversation between two sports reporters debating whether or not J.J. Putz of the Seattle Mariners, (my favorite team and should be yours) should receive recognition as a Cy Young candidate.

Now I contend that the following conditions must be met, or else J.J. will have no chance:


- J.J. cannot blow a save,
- Putz must save at least 50 games,
- he must have an ERA under 1.00,
- the Mariners must make the playoffs,
- Johan Santana must stumble a bit, and
- no AL pitcher can win 22 games.

It's just so difficult for a reliever to win the Cy Young that his numbers must be ridiculous (ala Gagne in '03). I don't believe the award is out of the question but could be out of the realm of possibility simply because I still feel the Mariners are a stretch to catch the Angels, Tigers, or Indians--all of which are more complete teams.

No comments: